Friday, June 1, 2012

No June Gloom Here!


Today marks the start of my 10th year of being on staff at Church of the Canyons.  It’s amazing how time flies.  I absolutely love what I do.  Ministry to college kids is still so very exciting to me.  It is one of those times in their lives that you can help walk them through decision making, the ups and downs, and the joys and challenges of life.  I got asked just the other day by a student if I was going to do this the rest of my life.  Who knows (except God of course), but I’d love to.  I’ve got so many memories of this stage in my life.  Here are some of my favorite things that I love about college ministry:

·         I love seeing students graduate and move on to different places all over the world with a goal to make a difference for Christ.  Being at a location with several colleges, you get a lot of transition.  While that might be a bummer, it is also a blessing as they move on and plug in elsewhere.

·         I love the college leaders that I’ve worked with over the years.  Often, they come in as students and then come on board as college leaders.  It’s been a blast having great leaders who love God and learn how to serve in a ministry.  Some of my best friends are from those who have served on college leadership with me.

·         I love seeing people grow in their spiritual life and develop their gifting.  It’s always a joy to see people develop and grow and then to be used in whatever God calls them when they move on from college ministry. 

·         I love it when God brings in someone as a young college student and they stick around for years, growing and serving and becoming my close friend.  I’ve watched God bring in people that I began to shepherd and then watch them grow up to be my peer.  That is such a cool thing to see that transition.  I’ve watched people fall in love and get married in the college ministry and then move on to have kids and serve elsewhere.  I’ve watched people move on to serve in other churches.  It is such a blessing to think back over the years and see God’s faithfulness in their lives.

·         I love the staff and elders I have the pleasure of working with at COC.  I continue to learn so much from them.  I have been so blessed to have godly men help shape me in what it means to be a shepherd.  It is so amazing to see their hearts in desiring to invest in the next generation. 

·         I love to see the next year’s group of people.  Transition is the name of this ministry.  Each year brings with it some sadness as we say goodbye to people who have stayed at COC for a number of years.  Yet each year also sees a new group of students come in and plug into the ministry.  Having done this ministry for this long, it’s fun to think back to each new school year and think about who God has brought us and how that has shaped the group.

So those are just a few things I am thankful for in these last 9 years and starting my 10th.  I wonder what the “next ten” will bring!

No comments: