Friday, May 22, 2009

An African Airline Adventure

9 Days until we “fly away.” It is crazy how fast this trip has come into focus. We first fly to South Africa, to a city named Durban on the East Coast to have a meeting. The next day we flight to Zimbabwe which is just to the north. So here is a rundown of the flights in case you are wondering what it takes to get to where we are going. We leave Sunday, May 31st around 8 p.m. on a 10 ½ hour flight to London. Then, we have a 6 hour layover until our next flight. Then we get on an 11 hour flight to Johannesburg, South Africa. We’ll arrive at 8:35 a.m. and need to get our bags, go through customs and then wait for our next flight. That layover time will be about 5 ½ hours. Our next flight will be at 1:55 p.m. and we will finally arrive in Durban at 3:00 p.m. I wonder if I’ll be tired at all. So my calculations (and I am no math major) suggest that our travel time including airport time is roughly a 36 hour trip.

So I have been planning to bring some work in order to be productive. The funny thing is that I’ll be studying eschatology, end times stuff and after this travel experience, I might think I am in the Tribulation! I’ll be wishing we were on the Rapture flying plan of a “twinkling of an eye.” In all seriousness, I am excited for what God has in store. I would ask for prayer for us as we seek to gather information on how best to plan for Thomas’ future in Zimbabwe.

No comments: