Friday, May 27, 2011

When the Lights Go out

We have had a very busy schedule of teaching, each one of us averaging about 6-9 hours of teaching a day. The way this training conference is set up is about 90 or so people divided into three groups. I teach each of these groups 4 times for 3 hour blocks of time. Today, I finished one group completely, walking them through the Gospel of Matthew. One of the biggest challenges of my day was teaching about the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit in Matthew 12 and Binding and Loosing in Matthew 16-18 to a group that primarily has pentecostal theology. Needless to say, it was a brain drain by the end of it. I was impressed by their teachability and their desire to learn. At the end of it, they were challenged to be able to back up what they believed with Scripture. I am so blessed to have this chance to work through that myself.

The last class of the day, the late afternoon class, we walked through Matthew 4-12 and looked at the temptations of Christ, Sermon on the Mount and the first part of chapter 12. It was a great class. An hour before class ended, the power went out and we were in darkness. Instead of stopping and leaving, they brought me a flashlight and all of them took out their cell phones to use to read the Bible. I was overwhelmed at seeing that. How many people would stick around in the dark to learn the Bible?

Another lesson learned. I am teaching them, yet feeling like the one being taught in so many ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That last blog was pretty challenging to read. It really encouraged me, too. Even this morning as I sit here thinking about all the missed opportunities of reading God's Word.

I am very thankful that the group was teachable and are so hungry to read/learn about God's Word. We continue to pray for you, J, as you finish up your last day tomorrow! Hope you voice is feeling better!
Lynn Greenfield